You might remember when we had the opportunity to churn up a few gallons of ice cream for the Odyssey Montessori School's Ice Cream Social last September. Well, since then Evan has developed a close relationship with a couple of those students, including an eager participation in an interview regarding ice cream making the girls had to do for a school project. This week the girls are back and for a very good reason; they are collecting donations for the Oregon Food Bank and they asked Evan if it would be okay to set up a collection box outside of the cafe. Personally, we couldn't think of a better place to do so.
As Ilana and Lily so poignantly point out (as taken directly from their amazing sign):
- Most people donate a lot of food during the holidays but then stop donating food. People are hungry all the time not just during holidays!
- 912,000 people eat from emergency food boxes a year
- Food donated during food drives is some of the most nutritious food the Oregon Food Bank receives
- 49% of households receiving emergency food boxes are families with children
- 37% of those who ate food from an emergency food box last year were children
- Children who are hungry have more difficulty learning in school